SaferVPN (2021) Review + Guide
Are you looking for a new SaferVPN review? That’s logical, the last couple of years these services have gained enormous popularity, almost 30% of the internet users has been using VPN services over the past 5 years. We at Globalwatchonline.com tested and tried all different providers for you, read our comprehensive SaferVPN review and learn everything about this service, we are sure that once you’re done reading you will know if this provider suits you.
Who and what is SaferVPN?
SaferVPN offers several protocols such as IKEv, PPTP, L2TP, and OpenVPN. While PPTP is great for streaming videos, OpenVPN is good if you need the best security. The prices of SaferVPN are on the cheap side. A two-year package is super cheap, and they also run discounts from time to time. There are special Business and Enterprise packages for business purposes.
- Enterprise users get special custom-made packages and cloud-based access. There are apps for all major platforms including a Chrome extension. This is especially good for novice users who don’t know how to use a VPN. SaferVPN also sells routers pre-configured with the VPN settings.
- The speeds are high, and uploading and downloading files is easy. SaferVPN helps you stay protected from hackers who set up Wi-Fi hotspots near cafes and airports. With over 950 servers in 30 countries, they have a pretty large network and are growing.
They have 24/7 customer support via LiveChat. They also have a ticketing system and are available on social media as well. They reply instantly on chat and within a few minutes on Facebook messaging. SaferVPN has a no-logging policy. Their policy states, “When you use SaferVPN service the only data we collect from you (“VPN Data”) which is as follows:
What are the advantages and pro’s?
- User-friendly platform and interface
- Unlimited bandwidth and server switching
- 950 servers in 30 countries
- Range of connection protocols
- No logs of any user activity
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Kill-switch feature
Table of Contents
|USABILITY:||Simple and easy to use|
|LOG FILES:||Grey Area|
|LOCATIONS:||34 countries, 700+ servers|
|SUPPORT:||Effective customer support|
|NETFLIX:||Unblocks Netflix USA streaming|
|ENCRYPTION/PROTOCOL:||256-bit AES encryption; OpenVPN, IKEv2 (by default), IPSec, SSTP and PPTP
Ease of Use
Installation is easy and is available for most devices, including a Chrome extension. You can use the Home plan to connect up to 5 devices simultaneously. The Premium account supports 7 devices at the same time, and the Small Business account supports 10 simultaneous connections. The installation process is simple but if you still need any assistance, the customer care live chat is always available.
- Using the app is super easy. Just select a location from the list and click on Connect. You can also mark your favorite locations to connect to them quickly. The app lets you select the right VPN protocol and comes with a kill switch that will disconnect you from the Internet any time the VPN connection drops.
- SaferVPN can be installed on routers a well. And if you want to make things really hassle-free, you can order one of their VPN routers.
They have three models and they all have VPNs configured on them. SaferVPN is fast at the moment. Just to back this up, here are my results without using SaferVPN: While using SaferVPN, I managed to achieve an impressive 79.23 Mbps on an EU server, making SaferVPN one of the fastest VPNs that has ever been reviewed on this site. Here’s a speed test I ran on speedtest.net to ensure the accuracy of this review.
US Server (New York)
- Ping: 120ms
- Download: 57.47 Mbps
- Upload: 23.09 Mbps
EU Server (Amsterdam)
- Ping: 43ms
- Download: 79.23 Mbps
- Upload: 27.78 Mbps
Asia Server (Hong Kong)
- Ping: 323ms
- Download: 1.28 Mbps
- Upload: 0.37 Mbps
UK Server (London)
- Ping: 46ms
- Download: 64.38 Mbps
- Upload: 39.40 Mbps
Seamless Installation and Use
Call me petty, but I absolutely detest VPN providers who force users to restart their devices after installing the VPN client. Luckily, not only is SaferVPN “Restart Free”, they are also one of the simplest and most user-friendly VPNs that I have ever reviewed. About 3 minutes after I purchased their services, SaferVPN was installed, launched, and protecting my Windows device.
- With one of the most straightforward user interfaces I have ever encountered, SaferVPN makes it easy to use their service and you can protect your device with just the click of a button.
- They also make it easy to quickly find and optimize your settings and ensure that you have the perfect connection for your specific goals. Although SaferVPN might not be the most feature-rich provider that I’ve ever reviewed, their intuitive design and easy to navigate interface makes using their software an absolute delight.
Effective Customer Service
While it isn’t up to the standard of a company like ExpressVPN, SaferVPN’s customer support definitely exceeded my expectations. Throughout the course of this review, I submitted a handful of queries at different times, some of them genuine, and some of them designed to gauge the efficacy of the support team. Each time, I received a prompt response to my question and was on my way in a matter of minutes.
Here’s one such encounter that I had while trying to figure out if there was a better way to use SaferVPN for torrenting (which we will talk about in the “Cons” section). This whole conversation took place in about 90 seconds and is very indicative of my overall customer service experience. Their team isn’t the most knowledgeable support crew that I’ve ever seen, but they got the job done and they did so in a matter of minutes. However, I should point out that at various points throughout this SaferVPN review, it did seem that they were using an automated software to respond to my customer support inquiries.
- While I cannot verify this theory, I do believe that SaferVPN uses robots to answer some of the more common queries that are submitted through their chat feature and, if you look at the above correspondence, you will understand why. The question that I submitted did not require a client email address for any reason and (considering the fact that they probably receive this question 100 times a day), my support agent should have been able to answer me immediately.
- Instead, I was asked to provide my email address (less than one second after submitting my question) for no apparent reason making me feel like I was talking to a robot and not an actual agent. This trend repeated itself across several other support questions and while it amounted to little more than a mild annoyance, I did feel that it was worth mentioning. Considering the overall quality of their customer support and the general friendliness of their team, I’ve got to applaud SaferVPN on their customer service.
Kill Switch and 5 Simultaneous Connections
As I’ve already mentioned, SaferVPN does not offer a particularly feature dense service. And I’m honestly kind of glad that they don’t. After using their VPN for some time, it’s clear to me that they focused almost all of their resources on optimizing their servers, creating an efficient support team, and offering their services at an affordable price.
- SaferVPN does a few things great whereas most of their competitors do a lot of things acceptably. While many users might be disappointed by the apparent lack of bells and whistles, I feel that SaferVPN offers all of the features that truly matter, including a kill switch* and a generous 5 device simultaneous connection limit.
- Both of these features are welcomed additions to an already stellar service and I am happy to report that (unlike many of their competitors) SaferVPN’s kill switch feature works exactly as advertised.
Jurisdiction In Israel Is Quite Allright
Headquartered in Tel Aviv, Israel, the mere location of SaferVPN might make it seem like they’ve lost the game before they even set foot on the field. After all, Israel has become an increasingly tumultuous and politically charged region, making many VPN buyers hesitant about trusting their privacy to a company located at the center of the turmoil. I’ll be the first to admit that when I originally learned about their location, I was pretty nervous about using their services too.
Works with Netflix At Most Servers
When I tried connecting to Netflix, SaferVPN seemed to work. Obviously, not all of the servers worked, maybe 30%, since Netflix is actively trying to crack down VPN providers and block their IP’s to respect their geo-restrictions.
Here’s a quick summary:
- “US streaming” server option worked nicely for me – quick and easy
- US East server didn’t connect to Netflix at all
- Canadian server was blocked by Netflix
- Netherlands server worked nicely
- UK server was blocked by Netflix
Although SaferVPN has a lot of great things going for it, their services aren’t perfect and they aren’t for everyone. So before you go smashing that “Buy Now” button, let’s take a quick look at some of the “Cons” of using SaferVPN’s services.
Torrenting is limited
Personally, this was my biggest point of contention with SaferVPN’s services. Considering that they have such a vast collection of servers, you would imagine that they would have spent some time optimizing at least a few of those servers for P2P transfers and torrenting.
- However, SaferVPN only has one server out of their collection of 700 that works for these purposes. (Their Netherlands server if you’re wondering). If you plan to use their services solely for torrenting then forget it. There are much better VPNs available for torrenting (here are 7 best). This particular “con” is far from a deal breaker, but it is an issue that I would like to see the company take more seriously.
No logging policy
Something that always bothers me about VPN companies is how misleading their logging policies can be. In fact, if you dig through their privacy policies, it’s not uncommon to find companies that advertise a “Zero Logs” policy while actually logging a metric crap ton of data. Although SaferVPN doesn’t quite fall into that category, they do track a little bit too much data for my liking.
SaferVPN Doesn’t Work in China
If I ask you to think of the first country where you would need to use a VPN, what comes to mind? Considering their draconian government and oppressive censorship laws, China is one of those countries that you shouldn’t visit without a fully functioning VPN. Unfortunately, according to many third-party sources, SaferVPN’s applications will no longer work while on Chinese soil.
- And this is a big problem for the company. Expats and travellers all across the world rely on high quality VPN providers (like SaferVPN) to unblock content and keep themselves safe and the fact that their services no longer work in the region is a big blow to their potential customer base.
If you aren’t travelling to China anytime soon, then you can ignore this point, buy SaferVPN, and go along your merry way. Otherwise, you will need to purchase a more premium service like ExpressVPN (read review here). (Please note that this is not something I could directly test since I have not visited China in recent months. If you have a different experience using SaferVPN in the so-called People’s Republic, please let me know in the comments below.)
I was astonished to find that their services are actually marketed at an incredibly budget friendly and affordable price. Like, less than $3 a month affordable. However, you’ll need to be ready to pay 2 or 3 years upfront. All of their packages offer the same features and services and the only difference between them is how long you actually get to use their service. Here’s how it all breaks down.
1 Year: $59.88
- $4.99 per month
- $59.88 per year
- 55% savings
2 Years: $71.77
- $35.89 per year
- 73% savings
Three Years: $82.26
- $2.29 per month
- $27.42 per year
- 80% Savings
- Regardless of how many connections you initiate or how many GB of data you download, you can request a full refund for your purchase as long as you do so within 30 days. SaferVPN also allows their users to pay with a Credit Card, PayPal, Bitcoin (anonymous payment) or Paymentwall meaning that, if privacy is an issue, your entire purchase can be made with complete anonymity.
Do We Recommend SaferVPN?
Not really, but they’re not a bad option. Out of the tons of VPNs that have been reviewed on this site, SaferVPN currently is a good VPN, but some of the cons are making them un-recommendable as one of the best VPNs in 2021. They offer fast (and stable) speeds, a seamless interface, and good customer service all at a decent price.
While their services aren’t definitely free of problems and I am eager for the company to improve their Torrenting capacity and logging policy, my experience with SaferVPN was satisfiable. However, you’d be better off using some other VPN providers which we recommend here. For example, NordVPN offers similar features and is also more torrent-friendly.
- It offers high connection speeds, strong encryption, and excellent customer service. With servers in almost 30 countries, SaferVPN has a large network and works on all devices. With a free trial, money-back guarantee, and access to Netflix and Hulu, there is practically no reason to turn it down.
- SaferVPN connections are very quick, and prices are very affordable, especially on the two-yearly plan. With the cost coming to about $2 per month, it’s among the cheapest VPNs in the market. For that price, it offers good quality.
VPN’s For Mac (2021) Guide + Tips
Here’s a list of 7 best VPN providers that work with Macbook on MacOS: Finding a VPN for Mac ins’t as simple as it sound. First off, many VPNs don’t have a standalone app for Mac devices. That means need to inst …
Fastest VPN’s (2021) Guide + Tips
In this case-study, we tested tons of VPNs and their download/upload speeds across the United States and Europe. Results? All VPNs slow down your connection a bit. VPNs boost security, but slow speeds. That’s un …
Best VPN For Torrenting (2021) Guide
We carefully read through tons of different VPN policies on torrenting and found out 7 best VPN apps for safe and secure torrenting. Finding the best VPN for torrenting isn’t an easy task. There are several facto …
The Best VPN Providers (2021) Guide
There are a lot of VPN services out there. Counting both free and paid services, you’re looking at over 1,000 different options to choose from. They all have a lot of the same features, many of them look and so …
Ivacy VPN (2021) Review + Guide
Are you looking for a new Ivacy VPN review? That’s logical, the last couple of years these services have gained enormous popularity, almost 30% of the internet users has been using VPN services over the past 5 year …
IPVanish (2021) Review + Guide
Are you looking for a new IPVanish VPN review? That’s logical, the last couple of years these services have gained enormous popularity, almost 30% of the internet users has been using VPN services over the past 5 ye …
ProtonVPN (2021) Review + Guide
Are you looking for a new ProtonVPN review? That’s logical, the last couple of years these services have gained enormous popularity, almost 30% of the internet users has been using VPN services over the past 5 year …
VyprVPN (2021) Review + Guide
Are you looking for a new VyprVPN review? That’s logical, the last couple of years these services have gained enormous popularity, almost 30% of the internet users has been using VPN services over the past 5 years. W …