Many people use Windows computers every day to browse online, watch movies and take care of their personal business. However, going on the Internet unprotected is not always a smart idea. It’s better to use a VPN so you can ensure your online privacy, security and freedom . Here are the three best VPN’s for Windows:
- ExpressVPN: best fast VPN.
- NordVPN: best secure VPN.
- CyberGhost: most user-friendly VPN.
Safe internet and online privacy are becoming increasingly important. Marketers and malicious hackers are constantly after your personal information. You can protect yourself and your Windows computer online with a VPN (Virtual Private Network). A VPN protects your online privacy and security, but also helps you bypass geographical blockages. For example, you can watch local TV from abroad. Also, many employers use VPN’s to allow their employees to work securely from home.
If youéére one of those people considering using a VPN on his or her Windows computer, you may be wondering which VPN to choose. The range of VPN providers is huge, which makes it difficult to decide which VPN provider is the most suitable. That’s why here we give you our top 3 best VPN’s for Windows devices.
What’s the best VPN for Windows?
At the moment, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Windows because it offers very fast connections and numerous options. Your Windows computer will be well protected with this VPN.
What’s the best free VPN for Windows?
There are several good free VPN’s that work on Windows. The disadvantage of these free versions is that they often have speed or data limits. So you can’t surf the Internet completely free with this.
Why do people use a VPN on Windows?
A VPN secures your internet connection. This allows you to surf the Internet from your Windows computer more securely, anonymously and freely. For example, with a VPN you can easily access your work network from home.
Best VPN’s for Windows: our recommendations
Most VPN’s have software that works well with Windows. For our top 3, however, we looked at more than just compatibility. After all, a good VPN for Windows should be user-friendly, fast and secure. We also gave VPN’s an extra point if they were good at unblocking websites and services. The very best options can be found below.
1. ExpressVPN: superfast software
If you ask us, ExpressVPN is definitely the best VPN for Windows. This VPN provider excels in terms of speed, security and stability. ExpressVPN offers fast connections that won’t slow down your internet much if at all.
- In addition, the ExpressVPN software works very well with Windows: with ééone press of a button you have a secure connection. The program runs in the background, so you won’t be bothered by it soon.
- ExpressVPN has excellent customer service and offers plug-ins for multiple browsers. This makes this VPN very pleasant to use, even on Windows devices.
- You may find ExpressVPN to be a rather pricey option. This provider does offer the complete protection and numerous options, including for watching the American Netflix. Want to try out this provider? Then click on the button in the banner below. Or take advantage of the money-back guarantee. Prefer a cheaper option? Then check out our numbers 2 and 3.
2. NordVPN: strong security
A good, cheaper option for Windows is NordVPN. While this VPN is generally a bit slower than ExpressVPN, NordVPN offers excellent security. In addition, the amounts are about fine. Like ExpressVPN, NordVPN has great software for Windows. The smooth interface will make working with Nord easy.
- If you’re looking for a VPN to unblock US Amazon Prime Video or other online content, NordVPN has you covered. This provider has multiple servers that work with different streaming services, including Prime Video and Netflix.
- In addition, NordVPN is inexpensive and has a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try the service first.
3. CyberGhost: simple but effective VPN
Are you looking for ease of use? Then we recommend CyberGhost. This service has slowly become one of the best options on the market. Where you have to look for the right server at NordVPN yourself, CyberGhost has already done this for you. Within the software for Windows you can click on the correct VPN server for torrenting, streaming or other faster for a few seconds.
- By the way, this implementation is not at the expense of CyberGhost’s security of speed: they are perfectly fine. This VPN is very cheap and especially good for novice VPN users. Because the software is so well-arranged and easy to start, you don’t need much experience to be able to use CyberGhost well.
- In addition, this provider has the longest trial period of the three VPNs. You can test CyberGhost for free for 45 days during the refund period.
What should you look for when choosing a VPN for Windows?
If you are looking for a good VPN for your Windows device, it is important to map out exactly what you want to use the VPN for. Here are some factors you may want to consider:
- Security: For extra security and privacy, choose a VPN with strong encryption and a ‘no logs’ policy.
- Speed: Are you someone who streams a lot? Then a VPN with high speeds is best.
- Ease of use: if you are a novice VPN user, it is better to start with a simple but well-functioning VPN.
- Price/quality: a low price is of course always a plus, although it is important that this goes hand in hand with good quality.
- Server locations: The server network determines which parts of the internet you can view. For example, if you want to watch local TV abroad the VPN you choose must have local servers.
All of these aspects are reflected in most VPNs to a greater or lesser extent. In our reviews and our top 3 best VPNs for Windows, we took a critical look at all these aspects and based our assessment on them. So think carefully about which elements you find important and choose a VPN that suits you based on that. Our top 3 will help you with this.
Free vs Paid VPNs
- If you’re looking for a VPN, you’ll likely come across free options on a regular basis. While free VPNs are very attractive, there are also snags. First of all, many free VPNs are not secure at all. For example, they keep logs, sell your personal information or install malware, such as a virus, on your device.
- Secondly, many free VPNs have a data or speed limit. With a data limit, you can only protect a fixed number of MB or GB of internet traffic with the VPN. Speed limits cause your internet to be seriously slowed down.
- If you don’t mind working with these limits, we recommend taking a look at our top 5 best free VPN services. This way you can be sure that the free VPN you choose will take your security into account.
- Would you rather use the internet without restrictions, with all the options that a premium VPN offers? Then you can always consider choosing a relatively cheap, good VPN An example of this is the aforementioned CyberGhost.
Why a VPN for Windows?
There are several reasons why Windows users choose to use a VPN. If you want to know more about this, you can read our article that goes deeper into the reasons for VPN use s. We briefly explain the three biggest advantages here for you.
- More online security. VPN’s encrypt all your online data, so others can’t read and misuse it. There are many parties who would like to see what you do online: from websites, companies and governments to malicious hackers. If you spend a lot of time with your Windows computer on public wifi networks the risk of strangers gaining access to your personal information is only greater. A VPN ensures that you no longer run this risk.
- More online privacy. A VPN anonymizes your IP address, so your internet traffic cannot be traced back to you. This gives you, in addition to your security, your online privacy back. For example, you can download torrents safely and anonymously, although we recommend always doing this legally to avoid downloading fines.
- Access to more streams and websites. Not all parts of the Internet are accessible to everyone. Some countries practice Internet censorship by blocking certain social media and news websites. Some services are only available in specific areas, such as Hulu. A VPN overrides these blockages. For example, with a VPN you can still access YouTube from China and from your home country you ll be able to access the offerings of American Netflix.
Setting up a VPN on Windows
Setting up a VPN on Windows is fairly simple. You can do this in two different ways: through the VPN software or through your Windows settings. It is also possible to set up a VPN on your router, so that all devices that access the Internet through the router are automatically secured.
Setting up via VPN software
Many VPN’s have software that you easily download from the officialële website. After youïve installed this software, you often only need to log in and activate the VPN. Installing a VPN on Windows usually involves the following steps. Need a little more help setting up your VPN connection? Then check out our detailed review page and click on your chosen provider. In these reviews we will help you step by step through the installation process of that particular VPN.
Setting up within Windows
Some VPN’s don’t have their own software. For example, if your boss has set up a VPN network so that everyone can work from home, you will have to set up this connection manually. Also, if you prefer not to download software on your computer, you can choose to use this method. You will have to adjust your network settings in this case. Here’s a quick guide on how to do that:
- Make sure you have the right login details. You can do this by purchasing a VPN yourself or by asking the owner of the network (e.g. your boss) for the correct details of the VPN connection.
- Make sure you have the correct login details.
- Open the VPN settings in Windows. To do this, go to “Settings”, then to “Network and Internet” and finally to “VPN”.
- Add a VPN connection by entering the information from step 1.
- Activate the VPN by clicking on it and connecting. This will look like the screenshot below on Windows 10.
Conclusion: the best VPN for Windows
A VPN on your Windows computer will improve your online experience. If you want a fast VPN with numerous options then ExpressVPN is the right choice. If you prefer a VPN that bets on 100% security and unblocking options, go for NordVPN. Finally, CyberGhost is the perfect option if you prefer a cheap option that is also very user-friendly. If these VPNs aren’t quite up your alley, check out our overview of the best VPNs at the moment.