A VPN on your Android TV provides more online security, privacy and freedom. You can also use a VPN to watch domestic television abroad or, on the contrary, foreign programs in your home country. The best providers we think you can use for this are:
- ExpressVPN, the all-round top service.
- Surfshark, the cheapest choice
- NordVPN, the best in unblocking
The user-friendly operating system Android is also used on Smart TV’s these days. With an Android TV you easily download and use apps from the Google Play Store on your TV. It works roughly the same as Google Chromecast, but you no longer need a separate dongle. Still, even with an Android TV you can sometimes encounter problems. Maybe you can’t watch a series, movie or YouTube video based on your location. This is also called a geographical block. Often you can bypass this blockage with a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- Like most Smart TV’s, Android TV gives you access to apps from popular streaming services like Netflix, Ziggo Go, ESPN/Fox Sports, RTL XL, NPO Start and more. Unfortunately, you’ll often be blocked by local services if you’re abroad, or conversely, by foreign services if you’re in your home country.
- This is why a VPN is an ideal addition to your Android TV. Where you would normally be blocked based on your geographical location, a VPN helps you watch your favorite series or movie. No matter where you are in the world.
There are many VPN’s that are compatible with Android TV. To help you make a choice, we’ve listed the three best VPN’s for Android below.
Best VPN’s for Android TV: our top 3
A good VPN is secure, fast, has servers in different countries and is user-friendly. Below we provide a top three excellent VPN’s that work well with Android TV.
ExpressVPN: all-around best VPN for Android TV
ExpressVPN is fast, secure, easy to use, has a ‘zero logs’policy and is, in our opinion, the best VPN at the moment. ExpressVPN’s software works on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux. For Android TV’s, ExpressVPN has a handy app, making it easy to install and use even as a layman. The app is also available in various languages as well as English.
In addition, ExpressVPN has thousands of servers spread across dozens of countries. Bypassing geographical blockades will therefore not be a problem. Not sure yet if ExpressVPN is for you? Then you can try this premium VPN for free thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark: a very inexpensive VPN for Android TV
Surfshark is not only a high quality, but also a very inexpensive VPN. Surfshark’s cheapest subscription costs less than two euros per month.
- In addition, Surfshark offers fast servers that make streaming very enjoyable. You’ll experience little to no buffering with Surfshark.
- This VPN provider also excels in user-friendliness. So with Surfshark you get a very good VPN for your Android TV. For a small price, you suddenly get a larger streaming offer.
NordVPN: a star in Android TV unblocking
NordVPN is a real bully at bypassing geographical blockages. Most Android TV viewers will use a VPN for unblocking content, making NordVPN a very good option.
- In addition, NordVPN offers an extra feature that is useful for unblocking: a dedicated IP address. A dedicated IP address is a unique IP address that makes it a lot harder for for example Netflix to see that you are using a VPN. As a result, you have a smaller chance of streaming services blocking you because you are using a VPN. In addition, NordVPN offers obfuscated servers. This is another handy extra feature for bypassing geographical blockages.
- NordVPN is not only a good quality VPN, but it is also favorably priced. Looking for a good VPN for your Android TV that lets you watch all your favorite series wherever you are? Then we definitely recommend NordVPN.
Free VPN’s for Android TV
In addition to paid VPN services, there are also free VPN’s. Many free VPN’s are unfortunately insecure and have speed and data limits. Speed is very important if you want to watch series and movies. For this reason, it is not recommended to use free VPN’s in combination with Android TV.
- In addition, many free VPN’s have server limits. Server locations are important if you want to unblock content. Depending on your server choice, you get access to more online content. For example, you can only watch the American Amazon Prime Video library with a server in the United States.
- Instead of a free VPN, it is better to choose a premium, low-cost VPN. For a small amount of money, you will get a quality VPN. One of these cheaper VPN’s we recommended above: Surfshark.
What’s the advantage of a VPN for Android TV?
There are a few good reasons why a VPN is an added value when combined with your Android TV:
- Security: your internet traffic is encrypted so others can’t see what you’re doing. Think for example of governments or companies that want to build a profile of you. A VPN also offers protection against hackers who are after your account and payment information.
- Anonymity: with a VPN, your IP address is hidden. This makes your online activity much harder to trace back to your location or you as a person.
- Unblocking/freedom: for many people, this is the main reason for using a VPN. If you choose to use a server in another country, it will appear as if you are in that country. This ensures that services and streams are not blocked and that you can access the larger selection of Netflix from America or just local TV while you are abroad. This works not only for streaming, but also for other blocked sites. This is why VPN’s are also popular with users in countries where there is a lot of censorship and sites are regularly blocked, such as China.
VPN vs. DNS on your Android TV
Want to bypass geographical blockades? This is also possible with a SmartDNS. Through a DNS you can make sites believe that you are accessing the internet from a different location than is the case.
- The disadvantage, however, is that your connection is not encrypted and your IP address is not anonymous. This means that you are not safe online, even though you are paying for it.
- You also have to watch out for a DNS DNS hijacking. In this case, your ISP may still give you an IP, which prevents you from getting around geographical blockages. In the worst case, DNS hijacking by other parties, such as hackers, can cause you to access harmful websites without you realizing it. This is how cybercriminals gain access to your data.
In short, it is generally more beneficial to choose a VPN. It gives you more benefits and is often easier to set up.
Kodi on your Android TV with a VPN
Kodi is one of the best streaming services today. Apart from a few directories’s, most of the content on the platform is completely legal, unlike, say, Popcorn Time or Terrarium TV.
You can also enjoy Kodi’s offerings on Android TV, but we recommend doing so in combination with a VPN. This way you stay safe and anonymous and no one can access your data. This is nice with an open source streaming service with a multitude of extensions created by fellow users.
Setting up VPN on your Android TV
There are several ways you can make sure your Android TV runs through a secure VPN connection. The easiest way is through a VPN app that you can find in the Google Play Store.
How about connecting all your devices to a VPN in ééone go, though? Then you can also choose to install a VPN on your router. Everything about installing a VPN on your Android TV can be found in the following article: Setting up a VPN on your Android TV.
Conclusion: best VPN for Android TV
A VPN is an excellent way to watch movies and series from abroad with your Android TV from your home country. For example, with a VPN you can access titles that you can only find on the American Netflix. You can also use a VPN to watch just local television from abroad. You can then still enjoy local programs’from NPO Start during your vacation abroad.
- An Android TV gives you a lot of options because of the access to the Google Play Store. This makes it particularly easy to install a VPN. On top of that, your data stays safe and you are anonymous online with a VPN. This prevents governments, hackers, companies and advertisers from accessing your data.
- We personally recommend using ExpressVPN, Surfshark or NordVPN in combination with an Android TV. Are you looking for a different VPN? Then consult our overview of the best VPN’s.